Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Try It Tuesday - Glitter Letters

Hey Ya'll!  It's time for Try It Tuesday, Quick Edition.

My house has been crazy busy and slightly dramatic for the last few days, so this was a last minute tutorial.  I know I missed last Tuesday's tutorial because I was at the hospital with my niece, so I wanted to give you something for today.

Today we are making Glitter Letters.  I first saw Glitter Letters on Miss Mustard Seed's website.  They are a quick and easy project to spruce up your home for the holidays. Now, I have to admit that this project was chosen because I happen to have had all the items stashed away in my craft closet.   I have made these banners before for a photographer friend of mine, so the banner we are making today is from what ever letters I have left, which also happens to be the name of a little girl I know.

Here are the things you will need for today:



Glue
Twine
Hot Glue Gun & Glue Sticks
Chip Board Letters (available at any craft store)
German Glass Glitter (You could use regular glitter if you wanted.  I use German Glass Glitter, because it is actual slivers of silver glass, so they tarnish nicely and give you an aged look after a while without losing the sparkle. I purchased this off of Ebay for just a couple of dollars.)
Qtips
A couple of bowls



Start by coating the chip board letter with a moderate coat of glue.  Be sure to get the glue all the way to the edges, and you can even put glue on the edges if you want your glitter to extend that far.




Place your glue covered letter glue side up in a bowl.  The reason I glitter into another bowl is for easy clean up, especially since this is little slivers of glass.


Sprinkle glitter over the glue covered letter.  Once the entire letter is covered with glitter, carefully lift it out of the bowl, and let it sit on a flat surface to dry.



Once the letters are dry, you have several different options.  You can attach magnets, and use them as pretty refrigerator magnets.  You could attach ribbon and hang each letter individually.  I am choosing to use some twine. 


Just put a little hotglue on the back of each letter and attach the twine.  

Note:  I know that the Y and the V don't look so great next to each other in this font.  I would recommend that if you have two letters that look odd adjacent to each other, mix up your fonts and use 2 different fonts to break up the lines.  This was the only font I had on hand, so this is what it is.



It's really hard to capture the sparkle and the vintage/aged look these letters have on camera.  Here are a couple of shots that show each aspect individually.
This is without light directly on the letters.

This is the letters with light directly on them.
These look great used on packages instead of tags.  I think my favorite use is as a Christmas tree garland, with "Merry Christmas" or some other cheerful holiday saying on it.  They are also great draped over picture frames or mirrors.

Here's to hoping that you find some inspiration in this super quick and easy craft!

Happy Tuesday!

Ms. L




* If you're having a problem commenting there is a way to fix it. If you have the "keep me signed in" box for your personal email checked it will not allow you to comment. Simply uncheck the box and then you should be allowed to comment.

1 comment: