Sunday, November 6, 2011

My 3rd Favorite Day of the Year

I know we reveal a lot of our favorites on 5 Question Friday, but I seriously doubt that we are going to get the question, "What is your 3rd favorite day of the year?".  So, I thought I would answer that one for you today.  I mean, a lot of people might want to know what our most favorite day is, maybe even our second most favorite day.  However, not you guys.  I  can tell that you don't care about that.  The 3rd favorite is what you are just dying to know. 

So my 3rd most favorite day of the year is (drum roll, please) Black Friday!  I absolutely love it.  I look forward to the hustle, the bustle, the craziness, the great deals, the people, everything!  A lot of people that I know think that I am absolutely insane for even venturing out on the busiest shopping day of the year.  I, however, think that they are crazy for not venturing out.  I have gone Black Friday shopping every year for as long as I can remember. 

I remember one year, I convinced my mom and sister that we should all wear crazy hats so that we could spot each other easily from a distance.  I didn't not realize that there would be two very large scary women chasing my sister and I at the beginning of our day because we found a door unlocked near the main entrance and went through that door rather than being trampled in the main line.  Our hats only helped them recognize us throughout the day.

Another year, we let my husband go out with us.  I must say that my husband is a fabulous BF shopper.  He is not afraid to stand in lines.  He understands exactly what our agenda is.  He moves quickly, and even grabs extras of things just in case we realize we miscounted.  That first year though, he made us laugh more than anything though.  We had carried two way radios in order to communicate a little easier (don't worry, now we just use our cellphones).  We crossed radio waves with other people several times.  One of those times a woman had found an item that her husband wanted, and asked him how many he would like to have.  Well, apparently her husband wasn't within range, but mine was.  I really hope her husband wanted a dozen sets of jumper cables.  Oops!

Yet another BF memory of mine was just a few years ago.  My mom had recently had a complete knee replacement and was in a wheel chair.  She refused to stay at home, so I said that I would be her driver.  That was a bad idea.  I ran her leg into so many displays and got us stuck in several tight spots.  The lesson learned there is that I should never be in charge of a wheel chair.  I have other experiences that should have made us realize this before causing Mom a little setback with her recovery, but those are for another day.

Last year, we started shopping at 10 pm on Thanksgiving evening.  I know a lot of people that hate BF, think that the stores should stay closed and let us spend time with our families.  I thank them for opening sooner, because we have some of the best memories from that night.  My mom has a lot of health issues, and it was such an accomplishment for her to say that she spent all night and most of the next day shopping.  (We were in a town an hour away from her home, so I had gotten a hotel room in case she needed to rest.)  I was the one in the end that needed the rest.  I actually ended up causing both of my ankles to swell and bruise from the strain.  Oops!

So, we are a mere 19 days away from my 3rd most favorite day of the year.  I have already started printing coupons, scanning ads that have been leaked, plotting my path of destruction.  So whether you are a BF shopper or not, I challenge you to make the most of your Black Friday this year.  Whether you make your memories at home or in a store with thousands of people, Happy Black Friday! 

Ms. L

* If you're having a problem commenting there is a way to fix it. If you have the "keep me signed in" box for your personal email checked it will not allow you to comment. Simply uncheck the box and then you should be allowed to comment.

2 comments:

  1. I am one of those who has always marveled at your Black Friday-ness, but I love you for it!!! I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you too, Gram! One of these days I will drag you out there with me! :)

    ReplyDelete