Monday, October 10, 2011

Stop and Smell the Shampoo

I just bet you all are dying to know what I am so excited about.  Is it because it will be Tuesday in less than one hour?  Is it because I have a 5 foot chicken named Beyonce? Is it because of the impending zombie apocalypse?

No, it's none of those things, although I kind of wish the second were true.  It's because for the first time in 3 months, I will get to see my Mom!  I have the world's greatest mom!  She is truly the best, and I have missed her dearly since we moved back down to Italy.  OK, so we don't live in Italy, but it's kind of like the boot of the United States, and sounds much more luxurious than Florida, so roll with it. 

Back to my Mom, she will be here on Wednesday.  I am like a kid waiting for Christmas.  There is a major competition going on in my house as to who is more excited, me or The Boy.  See, I am excited just to spend time with one of the coolest, most caring and compassionate women I have ever met.  The Boy is excited because he knows his "Nan" is bringing presents for his upcoming birthday.  OK, so maybe I am hoping for some presents too.  But that's another point altogether. 

I just want her here.   I want to hug her, and smell her, and just look at her.  I know, I must sound crazy.  Loony over her wants to sniff her mother?  You know what I mean, she just smells like my mom.  *Stop judging me* 

Leaving my mom was one of the hardest things for me when we decided to move.  My mom has had several serious health issues in her life, surviving a dangerous heart defect, multiple strokes, and brain surgery.  She continues to fight back each and every time she faces another battle.  I have stood in the ER when they told us she flat-lined.  I have gotten the phone call that said she had brain cancer (although she didn't. Way to go, radiologist).  I have listened to numerous surgeons explain the risk and complications for more procedures than I can even remember.  I cherish every moment that I get to spend with her. 

She has told me many times since her last stroke that it changed her.  She is refering to the occassional loss for the right word, and the slightly shorter fuse. The thing is it did change her.  It made her stronger.  It made her fight harder than ever.  It empowered her with the will to take her life back, and live it to it's fullest.

My mom has taught me many things.  She has taught me to love.  She taught me compassion.  She taught me patience, although I think it must have been Future Mom that taught me patience,  because I seem to have the short fuse that she acquired in the last couple of years.  She has taught me that birthdays are super important.  She has taught me that you can do whatever you set your mind to, whether it is Black Friday shopping in a wheel chair after knee surgery, or signing your own surgical consent when you have no control over your motor skills. 

She is my hero. She is my rock.  She is my friend.  She is my mom. 

If you can, hug your mom today.  Not because it's Mother's Day, or her birthday, but just because you can.  Make your mom laugh today, and enjoy the sound.  Give her a hug, and while you are there, breathe in, because one day, you may be miles away and miss the smell of her shampoo.

Ugh, now that I am done being sappy, I have to apologize.  Try It Tuesday will have to be postponed until next week.  I have lots of projects that Mom and I will be working on this week, so I am sure to have some great tutorials to come!

Ms.L

1 comment: