Monday, October 3, 2011

Perfect Love, Perfect Parent (someday... I hope)

Most of us have been to weddings where they have read I Corinthians 13 (considered to be the "Love" chapter of the Bible). 
These are the verses that are usually emphasized:
4 Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant,
5 does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered,
6 does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth;
7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
8 Love never fails...

These verses are great for weddings don't get me wrong.  And even if you're not a Christian, or do not believe the Bible you cannot argue that this is an inaccurate description of true, unfailing love.  Recently I've started applying these verses to my parenting.  Talk about revolutionizing the way I look at my own actions! 

These verses force me to ask myself what motivation is behind my actions.  And when my children (that I love tremendously) get on my nerves I have to ask myself, "why?  What is Firecracker hurting by___________" .  Usually I do not like the answer to these questions.  And usually the answer does not match up with the definition of true love. 

However, I must say that like any parent,  I am working towards being better,  Loving better, and acting better.  I, my friends, am a work in progress.  I want to be the perfect parent, but I realize this will not happen over night (if at all).  I will continue daily to attempt to love my babies (because they will always be my babies even when they're 57 and 55) with true, unfailing love. 

Ms. T

 

No comments:

Post a Comment