Thursday, April 26, 2012

Veggie Meat Loaf

It's been awhile since I posted a recipe.  Well here is a new one I've fallen in love with.  It's a tasty twist on an old favorite: Betty Crocker's meat loaf!  This recipe came to be one night while my friend, Ms. S, and I were brain storming about recipes I could make for the Hubs since his diet changed so drastically a few months ago.  This recipe was invented and it's fabulous!! 

You will need:
1/2 lb lean ground turkey
1/2 lb lean ground beef
3 zucchini (I have also used 1 large egg plant and 1 zucchini)
1 medium or large onion
1 egg (or 1/4 cup egg whites, which helps in decreasing the fat content)
3/4 cup bread crumbs
3/4 cup milk
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground sage
1/2 tsp pepper

Directions:

Chop zucchini and onion and sautee together using a little bit of water instead of oil. 

Mix all the ingredients together put them into a 9x5 loaf pan 

Bake it at 350 degrees for 1hour and 15 minutes. 

Delicious, and sooo much better for you than regular meat loaf!  You'll be astounded when it's completely cooked and you pull it out and there is only about a tablespoon worth of grease in the whole pan!!  Typical meat loaf is swimming in grease.  YUCK-O!  I tell you, I'll probably never go back to regular meat loaf.


* If you're having a problem commenting there is a way to fix it. If you have the "keep me signed in" box for your personal email checked it will not allow you to comment. Simply uncheck the box and then you should be allowed to comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment