Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Timer

I'm not entirely sure how it happened, but in our home we live and die by the timer.  When the Firecracker is in trouble and sitting in time out he asks me to "set the timer".  It's like he thinks I'm going to forget that he's sitting there and make him stay way longer than he should...... you know this kid might be onto something ;).

Although the timer is used for time out purposes, it has made it's way into just about every part of our lives.  You see the Firecracker is a very easily distracted child.  Therefore, meal time can become excruciatingly long.  It goes something like this: 
 Me- "Firecracker, eat your dinner please."

Firecracker- "sir, sir, ma'am, Mom" (this is the way he says yes sir or ma'am.  It's so cute.)
 He then takes one bite and while chewing he discovers something interesting on, under or near the table.  Which then he stares at or plays with depending on if he can reach it for the next few minutes. 
Repeat this for about 45 minutes.  It can be very tiring.

The solution I've come up with?  Set the timer.  Give him a time frame to finish his dinner.  Now I'm not saying that this is a fool proof method, because we still have our fair share of loooong drawn out meals, but it does help. 

Examples of other times I use the timer:
1. When I've told the Firecracker we can go outside "in a little while".  Setting the timer helps avoid the constant, "can we go outside NOW?" question.  When the timer beeps we go outside.  THE END.

2. Sharing toys.  Little people struggle with sharing so giving them a finite time that someone else gets to play with the coveted toy helps ease the pain of sharing. *most the time*

3.  How long the t.v. stays on.  I set the sleep timer on the t.v. so that when a show is over the t.v. goes off and it's time to do something else.  Otherwise, I go out of the room and don't realize the show has gone off and another show has started.  It's much more difficult to turn it off in the middle of another show.  I guess I'm a softy in this case.


That's all I can think of right now, but needless to say the timer is my friend.  I may be asking for another one for Christmas ;).  hahahahaha!

Hope you all have a great day!

Ms. T


* If you're having a problem commenting there is a way to fix it. If you have the "keep me signed in" box for your personal email checked it will not allow you to comment. Simply uncheck the box and then you should be allowed to comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment