Monday, April 1, 2013

Batman Birthday Cake Tutorial

Ok, so the Hubs made Firecracker's birthday cake this year.  (For real, ya'll I'm still in awe of this)  The cake turned out amazing so I thought I'd share how he did it, just in case you're feeling adventurous and want to try it at home.

You will need 3 boxes of cake mix, wax paper, marker, 4 cans of white frosting, 1 bottle of yellow food coloring, 1 bottle of black food coloring, a regular 9x13 cake pan and a very large circle cake pan.

1. print a bat symbol from on line (do a google image search and you'll find a gazillion options).  This is the one I printed out. It will give you a really good idea of how to draw it.
  
2. Draw it onto wax paper (I free handed ours, because our image wasn't quite big enough, although I ended up using it for lots of other projects so it came in handy.  I traced it a few times to get comfortable with the shape ).  I drew half the image on one side then folded the wax paper in half and then drew the other side so that I made it identical. (sorry, I forgot to photograph this step.  Use your imagination).  And cut it out.

3.  Grease your 9x13 pan really, really well with crisco or some other type of shortening.  Bake a regular sheet cake according to directions.

4. Once your cake comes out of the oven stick it in the fridge for like an hour or so. IN THE PAN (putting it in the fridge while it is still in the pan will ensure that when you dump it out it won't stick and leave you with a crumbly mess)

5.  Bake your large cake. Use a LARGE round baking pan ours held 2 cake mixes (yeah, I'm not talking your typical 9 inch circle pan.)  And make your base cake.

6.  Once your 9x13 cake is very cool, lay your bat signal wax paper on top of the cake and cut CAREFULLY  And stick it back into the fridge.
This is what your cake should look like at this point.  Now, if you're having a small party 5-7 guests then this will do.  All you have to do is frost.  However, our party was much bigger than that so we continued going.

6.  Use a LARGE round baking pan ours held 2 cake mixes (yeah, I'm not talking your typical 9 inch circle pan.)  And make your base cake.
 
 7.  Once that cake is done baking stick it in the fridge IN THE PAN for an hour at least before frosting. (putting it in the fridge while it is still in the pan will ensure that when you dump it out it won't stick and leave you with a crumbly mess)

8.  Take your base cake and frost it with yellow frosting (you'll need 2 cans of frosting to cover the whole thing (ask me how I know... yeah let's just say through this adventure the people at Publix and I got to be on a first name basis!).


Amazing Daddy making a cake for his favorite little boy ever =)
9.  Take your bat symbol out of the fridge and very very carefully place it on top of the round cake.

10.  Frost it black 

And now you have your cake!




 I hope you all have a great day!
Ms. T

I'm sorry there aren't more pictures.  I'll do better next time.


* If you're having a problem commenting there is a way to fix it. If you have the "keep me signed in" box for your personal email checked it will not allow you to comment. Simply uncheck the box and then you should be allowed to comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment