Wednesday, August 13, 2014

The Fun Place

Recently, I was talking with a friend about my childhood home.  Not the house itself, although we chatted about that later, but about the atmosphere of the home.  

My parents had an open door policy for our home. Literally.  We NEVER locked the back door of our home.  The front door and the side doors were locked, but the back door was always unlocked.  It was not unusual to come home and find a friend in our house because they needed something. If you needed anything: a place to sleep, a friendly conversation, dinner, or a shoulder to cry on our house was open to you.  

We constantly had people in our home that were not "blood" relatives. But just because they weren't blood didn't mean we didn't love them and treat them like family.  There are a few that to this day we still claim as family. (We just can't get rid of them! hahaha!)

Our house was always fun and full of surprises.  Like having a food fight at the dinner table. Or informing whomever was there at the moment that they were going to play a game of boggle with us.  Or just witty repartee (aka really, really corny jokes and puns).  Also, my Mom is a major English lover.  Therefore, if you stepped foot in our house you had to be prepared to use correct grammar or be corrected. This has always been a habit for all 4 of us kids, but apparently it bugs the mess out of people....

And I grew up thinking that was completely normal.  Everybody has that type of home life right?  As I've gotten older, I've realized this is the exception, not the rule.  Most people don't walk into their home to find someone else there (unless it's a robbery, and that's not a GOOD surprise).  Most people are surprised if someone shows up at your house unannounced just to chat for an hour or two.  

It may have been an unusual home, but I wouldn't have traded it for the world.  Now, looking back, I see just how blessed I am.  Not only do I have parents that love me and are willing to do anything for me, but also they loved all who entered.  There was no condemnation in our home.  Our friends were always welcome and loved and often my friends became good friends with my Mom because she would take the time to chat with them and laugh with them.

Why am I telling you all this?  Because I value my upbringing so much, and I want my children to have just as many good memories as I have.  I hope to be the kind of parent that my parents are to me.

Have a great day!
Ms. T




* If you're having a problem commenting there is a way to fix it. If you have the "keep me signed in" box for your personal email checked it will not allow you to comment. Simply uncheck the box and then you should be allowed to comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment