Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Mean Well

I understand that many people don't understand depression.  And I'm glad for them, because it means that they don't suffer from it.  However, please stop reciting your ridiculous cliches to those of us that do suffer with it.  

No, we can't "pray our way out of it" any more than someone can pray their way out of cancer.  They are both diseases.  They are both treated with medications. (I'm not saying God can't perform miracles.  He can and He does, but does He cure everyone that prays and asks Him to heal their cancer?  No, unfortunately, He doesn't.)

"Too blessed to be depressed" makes me feel like I'm choosing to be this way.  Yes, I realize that God has blessed me inordinately.  He has given me so many blessings and I am humbled by them.  However, I'm not pouting because I didn't get what I wanted.  I'm having a "low" with my disease.

"Time will heal it".  Nope, once again does time heal cancer?  Nope.  
I don't mean to say there are not people who truly do try to understand and do not judge.  I just would like it if people who don't understand depression would please stop with the cliches.  They help no one.

I hope you all have a great day!
Ms. T


* If you're having a problem commenting there is a way to fix it. If you have the "keep me signed in" box for your personal email checked it will not allow you to comment. Simply uncheck the box and then you should be allowed to comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment