Tuesday, November 7, 2017

A Near Miss

I used to be "that mom."  The one that went to every school field trip.  So, when the papers came home that said, "An adult must accompany the child on the field trip," I never batted an eye.

However, those days are gone.  I'm working again now, and while it's at the kid's school, I can't just take off whenever they have a field trip to attend.  Thankfully, Firecracker is old enough that his class doesn't require an adult to attend every field trip anymore.  

The other day a note came home stating that Sweet pea's class was going on a field trip, but that a parent needed to accompany each child.  I spoke to the teacher about possibly allowing Sweet pea to go without me.  She said she would think about it.  After a few days, the teacher said she didn't think it would be fair to allow Sweet pea to attend when other kids wouldn't be able to if their parent didn't attend.  I totally understood this stance, but Sweet pea was heart broken.

It was the night before the field trip, and Sweet pea was sure she was going to get to go (even though I had told her she might not be able to).  I had to explain that if one of her aunts or uncles didn't go with her cousins she wouldn't be able to go.  She was heart broken. Many tears were shed. I felt terrible.  

After Sweet pea had gone to bed, my sister texted me and said that by a twist of fate she was going to get to go after all.  (Previously she had said she wouldn't be able to go with her kids either, because she had to work.)  She got the day off and offered to take Sweet pea with her.

The morning of the field trip I got to give Sweet pea the good news.  She was SOOOO excited!  Auntie T saved the day.

Have a great day!
Ms. T






* If you're having a problem commenting there is a way to fix it. If you have the "keep me signed in" box for your personal email checked it will not allow you to comment. Simply uncheck the box and then you should be allowed to comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment